Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:41:21 -0500
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 02:00:24PM -0500, Brian's Mail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone give me any tips on the best tape drives to get? I want a SCSI
> device, not floppy of IDE. Is there any support for the tape changers (HP
> SureStore 24x6 etc.)?

For a reasonably cost-effective solution, I'd recommend the Exabyte 8mm
tape drives.  They seem to be about the best for a reasonable price (when
it comes down to it, ALL tape drives suck one way or the other).  I have
an older Exabyte 8500 SCSI.  Uses 112m Exabyte tapes, which can be obtained
for about 5 dollars.

The EXB-8700LT is a small external 8mm tape drive, which sells for around
$500.00 (you may be able to find it for less...), and that is the lowest
priced exabyte tape drive currently on the market.

At work, we use the Exabyte Mammoth (single drive inside a ten-tape library).
It too is a nice unit, though tends to flake out once in a while...

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
                   -- Stop the attacks on Serbia NOW! --