Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      custom <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Bob Howard <rhoward@fidelity.presys.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KFM

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Bob Howard wrote:

> List,
> Sigh... I'm new to FreeBSD and now have installed three times,
> once from FTP and twice from the newest power pack
> distribution.
>
> >From CD-ROM, booting from floppies, everything seems to go
> just fine... when all complete and reboot into the system I
> log on as user, then startx using KDE. When the desktop
> appears I get the message:
>
> could not create ~/kde/share/apps/kfm/magic
>
> and nothing works except some kde utilities and the ability to
> logout.
>
> Stuff works in the root, but I know not to run there for
> normal ops... even if not much more.

Good idea.

Anytime anything won't run for a normal user but will run for root the
first thing you should look at is file permissions.

Another tip is that if your system will boot that is a good thing. At that
point whatever your problem is, a reinstall is probably not the best
solution.

Later,
Jason C. Wells