Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:44:23 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "RexFelis" <catlord17@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems compiling KDE3 because of libmng - part 2

----- Original Message -----
From: "RexFelis" <catlord17@yahoo.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 11:46 PM

> Hello,
>
> Not long ago I wrote in about my attempt to
> compile KDE3 from ports failing during libmng
> build.  The advice I was given was, stick with
> the STABLE tree (I was using 5.0) and try "make
> index" from /usr/ports.
>
> I decided to install 4.7 STABLE,and try again.
> The first time, I installed all possible
> distributions, and then after updatuing src and
> ports through cvsup, I did a "pkg_delete *" and
> then "make install" for XFree86 (which always
> works fine) and KDE3.
>
> KDE3 failed building libmng again.  So I tried
> reinstalling, this time without installing any
> packages (custom install, only base, ports, src
> and docs/man), theorizing that perhaps the
> problem was files left behind by pkg_delete.
> Once again, even with an up to date src and
> ports, and having done a "make index" after
> update, the build fails during build of libmng.
>
> Ok, so I have determined that the problem is not
> version specific, and that it is not caused by
> incomplete uninstall of packages.  I have used
> script to record the error output, but this
> brings me to my next problem - no matter what I
> do, I can't get FreeBSD to mount a dos floppy,
> which I would use to save the script output for
> mailing in with my problem under a different OS.

Why not install KDE3 from packages?  This will save you a ton of headaches
trying to compile.

> "The Complete FreeBSD", OnLamp, and the handbook
> have done little to help with this problem.
> I have tried "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy"
> (and yes, I did create a /floppy dir first), and
> the response is this:
>
> msdos: /dev/fd0: invalid argument

Does 'device fdc0' and 'device fd' appear in your kernel config file?
Do you see a floppy drive being detected at boot (look at dmesg to see)
Is your floppy drive enabled in your BIOS?
Is your floppy drive cabled properly?

(The last 2 are from personal experience.)

> I have tried "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy", which
> returns
>
> mount: /dev/fd0 on /floppy: incorrect superblock

Expected, since your floppy disk is most likely not a FreeBSD-formatted
floppy.

> I attempted using mtools, as built from ports,
> whic returned an error because I am not using
> Linux emulation.
>
> Upon deciding to install Linux Base from ports, I
> came to the question, "Which one?"  Linux Base,
> or Linux Base 6?

linux_base, unless you have a specific reason for using linux_base_6.

--
Matt Emmerton