Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:00:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
To:        Andriy I Pilipenko <pai@nbu.zp.ua>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange problem with memory

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Andriy I Pilipenko wrote:

> Hi!
>
> In my organization I have two PC servers running FreeBSD. One
> have 32M RAM and other have 64M RAM.
>
> I've tried to compile mico-c++ on this machines but C++ compiler
> constantly complained about shortage of memory. For monitoring
> memory usage I used `top' and saw, that compiler allocated more
> than 30M of memory. At the same time system had about 10M free
> RAM and 40M free swap (on 64M system, of course). On 32M system
> digits is different (0M free RAM and about 60M free swap), but
> compiling aborts with the same message - "virtual memory
> exhausted".
>
> Next, I run GIMP and tried to load very large image. Things
> repeated - system had plenty of free memory and at the same time
> application complained about shortage of memory :(
>

> Any idea or suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. Please CC to my e-mail! I'm not subscribed to -questions.
>
> --
> National Bank of Ukraine
> Zaporizhia regional department          Andriy I Pilipenko
> System Administrator                    pai@nbu.zp.ua

If you were running these programs as a normal user, not the superuser,
you may be running in to limitations imposed by /etc/login.conf. Try
upping the memory limits in that file to get rid of these problems.

	-Spike Gronim
	 spork@cncn.com

		"Hacker, n: One who hacks real good"
			--Computer Contradictionary