Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:34:57 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@earth.backplane.com, mhagerty@voyager.net
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 05:39:49PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Mind you, I do agree that it would be very nice if we ["the
> industry"] could figure out benchmarking tactics which did
> not depend on the knowledge level of the person doing the
> benchmark.  It would also be really nice to see lasting
> peace in every corner of the globe, but that also isn't
> going to happen without divine intervention.  Getting back
> to benchmarks, the problem is that as soon as someone designs
> a benchmark, some members of the competition (the "competition"
> in whatever field is being benchmarked) sits down and figures
> out how to "look good on that benchmark".

The way that the SPEC organisation manages it (and has been
doing a pretty good job on CPU/memory benchmarks over the
years) is to work hard to make sure that the work done by the
benchmark _is_ representative of the sorts of work that real
people do with the sorts of systems where you're interested in
CPU performance.  That way, companies that figure out how to
look good on the benchmark tend to actually make their platform
behave well for a wide variety of applications.

The other thing about SPEC benchmarks is that the interested
parties benchmark themselves, and disclose their configurations,
so that those reading the results can (a) reproduce them and (b)
know what sorts of things that they should do if they want to
make their own applications run as well as that.

I remember that the last time this question arose, someone
suggested raising a fund to buy (yes, the sad part of SPEC is
that they sell the test suite to fund future developments)
SpecWEB.  How is that effort going, and do the folk who have
volunteered to run it have access to suitably impressive
hardware?

(That last point is likely a stumbling block for either FreeBSD
_or_ Linux.  You can bet that if Microsoft wanted to win SpecWEB
races they'd be able to buy better hardware than any group
that's scratching to get $800 together...)

For OS benchmarking, what we probably need is something like
SpecWEB with Laser association(the sailing variety) one-design
rules for the hardware.

--
Andrew