Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Sykes <matt-sykes@excite.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 0.00% CPU for all processes

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:12:58 +0200 (SAT), John Hay wrote:

>  >
>  > kernel: 4.4-STABLE motherboard: P2L97-DS, dual Pentium II 300MHZ
>  >
>  > top shows 0.0% user, 0.0% nice, 0.0% system, 0.0% interrupt, 0.0%
>  > idle
>  >
>  > WCPU and CPU show 0.00% for all processes in top and ps.
>  >

>  Go and look in the old freebsd-smp archives for this message:

>  It is message by Tor Egge and describes the problem. I have the
>  same motherboard and that patch did the job. I'm running -current
>  nowadays and the code does not look like that anymore so i have
>  changed the patch for current, but I do not have new patches for
>  -stable, so if that doesn't aplly anymore you will have to tweak
>  them by hand.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

It's good to know at least I'm not going crazy; that however
meticulously I was following the instructions for kernel config and
install, it was still broken because I needed this patch.

Unfortunately the patch cannot be applied even manually (I happen to
be a programmer) to 4.4-STABLE.  The patch expects pcici_t types,
whereas the -stable source needs device_t types (maybe they are just
typedefs of one another, I did a grep -r but couldn't find the
definition).

Much more importantly, though ... why isn't this patch included in
4.4-STABLE?

When you say you changed the patch for -current, does this mean it is
IN -current, or that you have a patch which you re-apply every time
you cvsup?  If the latter, why isn't it in -current as well?

The number of hours I've spent on this problem is now embarassingly
long --- looking through google, looking through mail archives,
disabling apm on/off with flags on/off with patch (the one that didn't
work) applied/not-applied then rebuilding world and kernel each time
according to /usr/src/UPDATING, then testing with bios 1.005/1.008 and
kern.timecounter.method=0/1.

What can I do to assure that nobody has to do this again?

And, since I still have a broken FreeBSD kernel, how do I to fix it?
Am I just out of luck with this motherboard?

--Matt