Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 22:41:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compatibility with windows\DOS

> If you install freeBSD what happens to windows and dos? Also, can you choose which operating system to boot in to?

It depends on how you do the install, which is why it is so important that
people read the FreeBSD Handbook before attempting an install.  This can
be found at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

Specifically, look at the section "MS-DOS Users Questions and Answers".

If you have a free partition on your hard disk (which is unlikely for most
Windows users, I assume they have used the entire drive) you can install
FreeBSD in that partition.

If the entire drive is formatted for Windows, but you have enough disk
space free, you can use a tool like "FIPS" or "Partition Magic" to repartition
your disk.  Once this is done, you can install FreeBSD in the new partition.

Part of the FreeBSD installation allows you to select a boot manager (if
you want one).  Installing one will allow you to select which OS you
want to boot on startup.

Jon Doran