Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:53:11 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41258: converters/recode needs new port revision

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:10:04AM -0700, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/41258; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
> To: Martin Kraft <martin.kraft@fal.dew>
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: ports/41258: converters/recode needs new port revision
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:05:35 +0200
>
>  --=.IYGafILBWVd+u7
>
>  On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:31:18 +0200 (CEST) Martin Kraft wrote:
>
>  > >Environment:
>  > 4.6 STABLE
>  > recode installed from the ports long time ago.
>  > updated some other ports during the last days including replacement od
>  > libintl.2 by libintl.4.
>  >
>  > recode cannot be executed:
>  > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.2" not found
>
>  your fault. you did remove gettext-0.11.2 but recode depended on it.
>
>  > But pkg_version -c does not show recode. So I missed to recompile recode.
>
>  no need for that if you update your tree the right way:
>  either keep libintl.so.2 somewhere and everything is fine, or
>  remove libintl.so.2 and manually recompile all affected ports.

Yes, and how to find out which ports are depending on it?

Either do a "find /usr/ports -name Makefile -type f -exec grep -n
-e intl.4 {} /dev/null \;", which isn't something I do right the
first four attempts, let alone somebody who isn't as much skilled
in find/grep as I am. Another disadvantage is that you don't know
if you have had them all, there is a chance (rather big IMHO) that
you will forget one or two. Or four or ten.

Or see that your overview of ports which are upgraded is a little
bit long and start the work (which is the same amount of work as
previous) and at the end (or when you think it's the end) you see
that you still missing one or two. Or four or ten.

Now, which one do you prefer? The one which tells you what you have
missed or the one which doesn't tell you what you have missed. Don't
tell me it's the second, because I don't believe you.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php