Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 14:39:18 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi error while burning CD

Hi Karel! I'll try to help you even though I've given up on FreeBSD.

"Karel J. Bosschaart" wrote:

-snip-

> <PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-305 1.03>   at scbus1 target 3 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
> <PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4220T 1.04>  at scbus1 target 4 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)
> <SCANNER  2.03>                  at scbus1 target 6 lun 0 (pass3)
>
> The scanner was added quite recently, but none of these were active
> while burning the coasters.

1 - Is the scanner at the end of the SCSI bus?
2 - Does the scanner have an external terminator?
3 - Does the scanner have an internal terminator enabled?
4 - Is terminator power enabled on the SCSI controller card?

1 = -, 2 = -, 3 = ?, 4 = - : research scanner termination with
                             scanner manuf.
1 = -, 2 = -, 3 = -, 4 = ? : research terminator power with
                             SCSI controller manuf.

1 = N, 2 = N, 3 = N, 4 = - : it's a mystery.
              3 = Y, 4 = - : disable internal scanner terminator.
       2 = Y, 3 = N, 4 = - : remove external terminator at scanner.
              3 = Y, 4 = - : remove external terminator at scanner and
                             disable internal terminator at scanner.
1 = Y, 2 = N, 3 = N, 4 = N : add or enable terminator at scanner and
                             enable terminator power on controller.
                     4 = Y : add or enable terminator at scanner.
              3 = Y, 4 = N : enable terminator power on controller.
                     4 = Y : it's a mystery.
       2 = Y, 3 = N, 4 = N : enable terminator power on controller.
                     4 = Y : it's a mystery.
              3 = Y, 4 = - : remove external terminator at scanner.

Hope this helps. -- Mark