Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 12:47:01 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 500au

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 03:24:21PM +0100, Michael A. Smith wrote:
> The "a" models (433a, 500a, 600a) are a tiny bit different from the "au"
> models. They have Adaptec SCSI boards (from which you cannot boot via SRM)
> PLUS the motherboard layouts are a bit different. They *are* physically
> different machines.

That is NOT true.  EVERY `a' model I've seen has a Qlogic 1040 SCSI
controller in it.  I am willing to bet someone replaced it with the
Adaptec controller you have.  The motherboard layouts are the same.  What
do you think is different about them?  Or are you comparing the MX5
models with the GL models?  I do know that the `a' models have ATAPI
CDROM drives vs. the SCSI ones of the `au' models.  I believe there are
also video differences between the two models.

Every Miata I have bought for FreeBSD development (5) + the DEC loaners
are `a' modules and all run FreeBSD fine w/o hardware changes once the
firmware was updated and switched to SRM.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)