Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:59:52 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-vuxml@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can portaudit report a fixed date/version?

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 08:13:02PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I have portaudit installed.  Each morning I get notified if there are any
> vulnerabilities that I should know about.  That's good.
>
> I think portaudit should also tell me if it knows there is a fix available
> in the tree.  That would immediately tell me that I can cvsup and get the
> problem fixed.
>
> Comments?

The VuXML format contains only which packages are affected, and not
an direct indicator whether or not a fix has been applied.  This is
by design.  Including that information would be redundant.  From
VuXML, you know what package versions are affected.  From the Ports
Collection, you know what package versions are available.

A tool such as portaudit could compute whether a fix is available or
not for you.  It might be a nice feature.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A Vidrine / NTT/Verio
nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org