Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 17:48:34 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Subject:   Re: smfs

From:  Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>:
>the regular samba package, and I simply assumed that a kernal-based
>solution would be more effecient than it (memory-usage-wise).  Apparently,
>though, smfs, is NOT a functional replacement for samba.  I stand corrected.

"smbfs" is the counterpart to samba. The latter allows PC's to use
unix drives. The former allows Unix systems to read PC Drives.
Since PC's do not normally implement user-level security, such cannot
be reasolable implemented without maintaining all the security information
on the unix side of the transaction.

On the other hand, a lot of people are interested in an SMBFS port,
so don't let the fact that it is not what you thought it was stop you  :-)

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...