Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 19:41:41 +0000
From:      Otter <otterr@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoA

Corigan wrote:

> > Kip Macy wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a possibility of using PPPoA (ADSL) on FreeBSD?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > >                                 -Kip
> >
> > I'd say there's a pretty good chance of it... considering mine's been
> > going for a little over a year now. Find out what your isp requires for
> > login authentication and make sure you have NIC support for your card in
> > the kernel. Mine uses DHCP, so I just use isc-dhcp2 in the ports and all
> > is well in the southeast for bellsouth.net users.
> > -Otter
> > p.s. If you run an old fbsd box, you might want to install bpf also. I
> > think (but not sure)DHCP requires it.
> >

> I'm sure PPPoA exists since I am running PPPoE on bsd.  As for dhcp, why not
> just use dhclient? don't even need to configure it.  just run dhclient,

dhclient is the binary you run for client usage of DHCP (since you're not
serving TO your provider).

> it
> searches for a DHCP DISCOVER on all nic's.

why not just make an /etc/start_if.xl0 (if you have one of the xl0 NIC's)
saying to run dhclient xl0 instead of looking on all NIC's? I'll correct myself
here. Your suggestion is good if you're connected to 2 LAN's and client on
both, but for home users doing NAT, they'll only need to search on one NIC,
since the other NIC will probably already have an ip assigned.

> It automatically binds the route
> as well and the ip to the nic, works real well.  It also is standard in bsd
> and requires no extra install of a port.  Maybe dhclient doesn't have all
> the razzles of isc-dhcp2.

As for what FreeBSD uses as stock, I'm not sure, but would be curious to know.
When I installed on the drive I have here,  I moved too many files and
installed too many ports to remember what was on it before I started.