Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:52:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Graeme=20Chambers?= <transform_bsd@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE driver problems

I seem to be having major problems with the IDE driver
in FreeBSD 4.3

The boot disks fail to recognise the disk on a Texas
Instruments Extensa 510 (using an ALI chipset).  The
installation boot disk says: disk1 A:, disk2 C: on
boot but fails to find the disk just before fdisk.

Shouldn't the generic IDE driver find the disk anyway?
(i have passed the irq/io port etc in the config bit)
A kernel message is displayed 'ata2: cannot set DMA
mode' or something like that, but surely this wouldn't
prevent the disk from being detected?

On another machine.. my Sony cdrw drive cannot be
detected, with kernel messages:
(null): MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices.. done
(null): read data overrun 30/0
several times, then if I try to access the drive, more
messages come up (with REQUEST_SENSE) and the system
hangs.  I posted this before, but the I have already
tried the suggestion of trying different master/slave
combinations.

Can anyone tell me what MODE_SENSE_BIG does and why it
would appear?

thanks,
graeme

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel