Date:      10 Aug 2001 10:48:12 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT License Question WAS: RE: BSD license question

Brian T. Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> writes:

> That sounds right to me . . .
>
> > Personally, I don't see the benefit of doing this. Various people,
> > including the Ogg Vorbis team have moved things from GPL to BSD style
> > licences to stay friendly with businesses.
>
> . . . but I don't see how they could do that.  The GPL is meant to
> prevent you from doing anything to prevent the GPL license from
> preventing people from sharing any derivative of the one-GPLed work,
> and the greater freedom of the BSD licesnse means that going from
> GPL to BSD really makes it more free, but then somebody can make
> another "branch" off of the BSD project to make it less free; GPL
> would therefore seem to forbid BSDing it.
>
> So I don't see how you can go in that direction.

I don't have the original mail from the xiphorous team, but a quick
search shows this link to
/. http://www.slashdot.org/articles/01/02/26/1311242.shtml that
discusses the change. They did it apparantly with RMS's blessing, so
maybe that makes it ok.

Having read that, a search of their faq now says that the software is
licenced under the GNU GPL. I have _NO_ idea what is going on. I'll
find the mailing list archives and dig out the announcement. In the
meantime here is a link to the interview :)
http://www.binaryfreedom.com/content.php?content_id=26

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk