Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:20:45 +0200
From:      Raphael Marmier <raphael@computer-rental.ch>
To:        David <dvelez502@nyc.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd softupdates

Softupdates give you an "insurance" that, in the event of a crash or a=20=

power outage, your filesystem will be coherent enough to be recoverable=20=

by fsck. This is the same goal as journalisation, just a different=20
method.

However, any data not fully commited to disk is forever lost. I guess=20
this applies to unsaved documents.

Note that the hard disk's write cache should be __disabled__ or there's=20=

no point in using softupdates at all. Up to now, there's no support for=20=

"safe write cache" operation. To my knowledge, it only exists in=20
windows 2000 sp3 and xp. (it has been found ... inoperant in w2k <sp3!).

hope this helps

Raphael

Le mercredi, 16 avr 2003, =E0 22:02 Europe/Zurich, David a =E9crit :