Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:13:33 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: var partition is too small

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

hello

i have a practice box set up, i've been trying to resizing /var by symlinki=
ng it to /usr/var

in theory this is simple - my methodology is

drop to single user mode
fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a
adjkerntz -i
mkdir /usr/var
cd /var
cp -R * /usr/var
cd ../
mv /var /var-old
ln -s /usr/var
comment out the var line in fstab
reboot

-this works, except the permissions in the var directory are lost.  dmesg s=
hows that /var/spool/clientmqueue needs to be owned by smmsp:smmsp and be c=
hmod 770.  i get around this by going to one of my backups, unzipping the v=
ar directory, and trying the above procedure again, only this time mv'ing t=
he /var contents i extracted from backup into /usr/var

this seems to work ok - no errors in dmesg - however, i was using the machi=
ne, and i opened up mutt - mutt complained about /var/tmp's permissions not=
 being set right.

so - it looks like i may run the risk of losing the correct permissions on =
some files/directories in var if i decide to try symlinking to give my var =
partition more space...

is there anything i'm missing?  i'd really like this to go seamlessly...

thanks again
redmond

[Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:32:30AM -0400]
This one time, at band camp, Robert Huff said:

>=20
> Redmond Militante writes:
>=20
> >  which sets httpd-access.log to be rotated in binary format
> >  everytime it reaches 100 mb or once every hour for 24 hours.
> >
> >  the /var partition on this machine is 252 mb.
>=20
> 	In my opinion, if you acknowledge the real possibility of
> haveing a 100mb file (never mind 100 users' mailboxes) there then
> /var is _way_ too small.   I would have 500mb, and do 1gb if I could
> afford it.
>=20
>=20
> 					Robert Huff