Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:59:48 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dreamplug and eSATA problems

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 01:55 -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
> On 11/22/12 20:04, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > It'll be a while before I can get back to this and start tracking down
> > the point at which the problem went away in -current.  If you want a
> > quick workaround for now, the attached patch will set the data cache to
> > writethrough (the performance hit isn't as bad as you'd think).
>
> Thank you! This appears to work fine; I've built several ports including
> Perl, and they appear to work. Usually if a machine can build ports,
> it's got fairly solid hardware.
>
> As to a performance hit, I'm not really informed enough about the arm
> architecture to notice. This is the first I've been able to really use
> this box, so I'm considering that enough for now.
>
> Fairly soon I will be doing some network performance tests between the
> two network interfaces, so maybe the performance issue will show up when
> that test happens.
>
> How new is your DP? I understand the hardware has changed again; I may
> need to get another one of these so I'm curious when that change occurred?

This DP has 1001 and 0301 next to the serial number on the label.  My
other one is 1001N and 0201.  The new one has NOR flash, the 1001N had
NAND.  I heard from someone that only about 50 of the nand-based units
were built.  Considering how much it costs to layout a board, hand build
some units for prototype testing, gear a whole production line up (parts
placement, soldering, etc), spin a new bootloader and OS for it, all
that stuff, it boggles my mind that they did 50 units then dropped that
design.

So all in all, I don't know what other differences it might have beyond
the nand/nor flash.  All the other onboard devices are the same as near
as I can tell (not sure about the wifi since we don't have a driver for
that).

-- Ian