Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:31:50 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best branch for bhyve on AMD?

Hi John,

> Am I right in thinking that bhyve support for AMD processors is not
> yet in -STABLE?

  Yes, that's correct.

> If so, is there working code for bhyve under AMD anywhere? Where?
> -HEAD, projects/bhyve_svm or somewhere else?

  projects/bhyve_svm

> Is it considered experimental, stable, or something in between?

  I'd home somewhere on the stable side of experimental. I've had good
success with it on a Phenom II, but looks like at least 1 user has had
issues.

> Should  it work with the above processor?

  I think your model may be predate the h/w nested paging support that
bhyve relies on (EPT, or RVI in early AMD terminology). The list of AMD
CPUs with RVI is at:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU120AMDRVICPUsHyperVWin8.aspx

  ... and the Athlon 64 X2 isn't on that list :(

later,

Peter.