Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:41:21 +0200
From:      Albert Shih <shih@math.jussieu.fr>
To:        kama <kama@pvp.se>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DL380G2 instability

 Le 25/09/2006  18:13:29+0200, kama a écrit

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>

> The reason of checking 5-STABLE, is that I have encounter problems w DL380
> and 6-STABLE (mine are all G3's). But I could not get any real info out of
> it and could not proceed to make a report. Mine just rebooted (power
> cycled), like if someone pulled the powercables and put them in again. So
> nothing in the log, and no dump in /var/crash (Yes, I specified it.).
> The ilo only reports a power cycle.
>
> What I do know is that it happens more often with high IO load. Network of
> 200-300Mbps in and out, a lot of memory and disk activity. One other thing
> I noticed was that they mostly occured at 00, 15, 30 or 45. (according to
> logs and ilo) But I could not see anything in cron, logrotate or anything
> that could cause it to boot at those times. I disabled the checks for
> server overload in the bios settings and still the power cycled. But it
> couldnt have been a problem with the hardware, since with 5-STABLE it can
> run for months without problems and with 6-STABLE it can crash anywhere
> from 2 hours to a week. Sometimes it can crash several times in one day
> and then be stable and fine for a week.
>
> If you get a solid 5-STABLE and the 6-STABLE is still a problem, it will
> be one more than me (that I know of) that have encounter problems. As my
> boxes are in production, I cannot switch to 6-STABLE just to test things.
> So if you are able to do all the steps that needs to be done and post a
> problem report, it would be great, from my point of view. And then I can
> only hope that it is the same issue.

I've ML 350 G3 running FreeBSD 6.0, and 6.(0)-stable until, 6.1-Release
after that 6.-stable, and now 6.2-PRERELEASE.

Since de beginning I've very huge stability problem. This server running
nfsd, and from de beginning sometime I lost the network/or freeze.

Between 6.0-6(1)-stable it's nigthmare...until I found the polling method
for the network interface.

Now I'm running 6.2-PRERELEASE with polling and no-SMP. It's seem stable
(not very stable...but...).

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH