Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:13:22 +0800
From:      "Wright, Brett" <Brett.Wright@cooperindustries.com>
To:        <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Atheros DFS radar detection

Hi All,

I've been trying to get DFS radar detection working with Atheros ar5212
(and later).
As for matching the ETSI/FCC radar patterns that is OK - I can make the
open source DFS code comply.
The problem is that it is too sensitive (i.e. too many false detects).
What I have found is that using ar5213 I get LOTS of radar phy errors
just for normal crc error free data transfer.
Even just an iperf test on the bench will give me approx 1 radar phy
error for every 5 or so tx/rx frame.
This means that any "real" data of sufficient data rate for these false
pulses to match the radar patterns will trigger false detection of radar
and a channel change... (usually iperfing for a couple of minutes is
enough!)

One approach I've been looking at is some "smarts" that look at how much
real data is being received and try to decide what "pulses" are not real
and discard them. However this risks having a radio that does not always
detect real radar co-incident with when the radio is very busy. I also
can't help but feel there is some other way to detect and weed out these
"false" phy radar errors. (for example FreeBSD defines
HAL_PHYERR_FALSE_RADAR_EXT - I'm not even sure what this is/does).

Any clues/info anyone can provide about how to determine what phy radar
errors are potentially false would be a huge help...

Thanks again
Brett Wright