Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:37:04 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make install error in fdp-primer

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 01:58:50PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> -       ${INSTALL_DOCS} ${_curimage} ${DESTDIR}/${_curimage:H}
> +       ${INSTALL_DOCS} ${LIB_IMAGES_DIR}/${_curimage} ${DESTDIR}/${_curimage:H}
[...]
> -       ${INSTALL_DOCS} ${_curimage} ${DESTDIR}/${_curimage:H}
> +       ${INSTALL_DOCS} ${LIB_IMAGES_DIR}/${_curimage} ${DESTDIR}/${_curimage:H}
> That's cut-n-pasted, so spaces may be screwed up.  Apply it with 'patch
> -l'.

That's the first half of my bandaid (posted in an earlier message).

> Even with that the image links in the FDP primer are broken, but
> it installs.

That's the reason for the second half of my bandaid. The command expands
to install [some flags] imagelib/callouts/x.png \
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/fdp-primer/callouts.

If this directory doesn't exist, install will copy the image to a file
called callouts. That's what happened in your build environment. You'll
have to remove the file, create the directory manually and reinstall.
Afterwards, the directory will contains five .png files.

I don't know if this trick fixes all the problems: I don't like images as
callout markers and have modified the style sheets to use text.  You may
have to analyse the html files and look for the img= statements to find
the "correct" path.

http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/callout/callout.html contains several
examples of callouts with text markers and a short list of reasons why I'm
using text instead of images (near the end of the article).

If you`d like to compare the effects of text and image markers, try
http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/callout/examples/text.html
http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/callout/examples/graphic.html

Try to identify the callout images on a 19" monitor with a resolution of
only 1280x960. It's extremly hard to read them.

/s/Udo