Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:11:21 -0700
From:      john <jbarbee@singular.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   performance increase with MSF?

server# df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
mfs:337          7903     7234       37    99%    /usr/local/www/global/tmp

testfile is a 7 meg file created from a couple of tar files.
the 7234K used are taken up by testfile.  there are no other files in the
mfs filesystem.

server# /usr/bin/time grep blah testfile
...grep output...
         0.11 real         0.06 user         0.05 sys
server# /usr/bin/time grep blah /usr/local/www/global/tmp/testfile
...grep output...
         0.11 real         0.06 user         0.05 sys

Is my method of testing invalid?  Is 7 megs too small to make a
difference?  Did I miss something when I read the docs?

john.