Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 18:56:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 for Alpha and Compaq DS10

> But to my question... will the latest -RELEASE or -CURRENT run on the
> DS10? Would anyone have any suggestions on a cheap but somewhat newer
> Alpha machine?

	Here is what the HARDWARE.TXT has to say about ALPHA machines:

In general, what do you need to run FreeBSD/alpha?

Obviously you will need an Alpha machine that FreeBSD/alpha knows about.
Alpha machines are NOT like PCs. There are considerable differences
between the various chip sets and mainboard designs. This means that a kernel
needs to know the intimate details of a particular machine before it can run
on it. Throwing some odd GENERIC kernel at unknown hardware is almost
guaranteed to fail miserably.

For a machine even to be considered for FreeBSD use please make sure it has
the SRM console firmware installed. Or at least make sure that SRM console
firmware is available for this particular model. If FreeBSD does not
currently support your machine type, there is a good chance that this will
change some time, assuming there is a SRM available.

Machines with the ARC/AlphaBIOS console firmware are intended for
WindowsNT. Some of them have SRM firmware available in the system ROMs
which you only have to select (via an ARC/AlphaBIOS menu). In other cases
you will have to re-flash the ROMs with SRM code. Check on
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware to see what is available
for your particular system. In any case: no SRM -> no FreeBSD (or NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Tru64 Unix or OpenVMS for that matter). With the demise of
WindowsNT/alpha a lot of former NT boxes are sold on the second hand
market. They have little or no trade-in value when they are NT-only from the
console perspective. So, be suspicious if the price appears too good.
Known non-SRM machines are the Digital XL266/XLT300, the Samsung PC164UX
and 164BX.

	The DS10 is listed as one of the machines FreeBSD runs on. It
   lists several more, of course. You probably should get a copy of
   this file (/usr/src/release/texts/alpha/HARDWARE.TXT) so you can read
   the supported hardware for yourself, and decide where to go from
   there.

								Bruce