Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:59:18 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        List Mailing FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Laundry

> On 26 July 2020, at 13:31, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 01:11:33PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> I have a production system (12.1-RELEASE-p6) that is showing around 1 =
GB of Laundry pages.  There are over 6 Gb Inact and 1 Gb free.  I can =
understand why the system would want to not prioritize laundering those =
pages as there is plenty of available pages.  However, does that mean =
that I have about 1 GB of updated files that have not been written back =
to disk?  If so, then there is a significant issue with power failures =
and loss of data.
>>=20
> Laundry keeps both file-backed (named) pages and swap-backed =
(anonymous)
> pages. Most likely it means that you have 1G of anonymous dirty
> mappings, for instance programs data/bss and malloced.

I don't believe there are very man anonymous pages, but there are lots =
of named pages.  If those are dirty, does that mean they have not yet =
been written back to disk?  The loss of those would be quite detrimental =
if not written back to disk.

-- Doug