Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:48:53 +0200
From:      "Sean White" <swhite@jedi.wcape.gov.za>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI bus... or why I don't like Acer

Hiya, all!

I've downloaded the 2.1.5-R boot floppy and briefly checked the Acer
machine that gave me so many problems before with 2.1.0-R ... Hi Stefan!

The problem detecting the PCI bus is still there. Now, I'm quite happy that
it's not FreeBSD's fault at all, more the rather strange PCI setup in this
particular machine. My fix for 2.1.0-R was to compile a custom kernel which
reversed the PCI config mode probes (mode 2 before mode 1) and this has
proven to work quite successfully. I've also tested the modified kernel on
a couple of other machines including IBM and Unisys with no problems
either. Compaq Prolinea model 590 machines are still a problem but I
couldn't be bothered with those things anyway. Don't have one, don't want
one.

My question is, would anything be broken or disadvantaged if this change
was incorporated into the FreeBSD release, obviously in a later version?
Would the "team" be prepared to consider such a change? I'll happily post a
diff for pcibus.c here if anyone is interested.

My thanks again go to Stefan Esser for the help given in getting 2.1.0-R to
run on this machine.

Regards,
        Sean.

| CCS: Western Cape  | Tel: +27-21-462-2780 | DISCLAIMER: Any opinions ex- |
| Private Bag X1     | Fax: +27-21-462-2791 | pressed above are *MINE*! If |
| 8012 ROGGEBAAI     | swhite@gov.za.       | you want my boss's, ask him. |
  "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engine intakes"