Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:26:01 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Mike Irwin <mdi@foobox.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: ad banner hack

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:43:24AM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Mike Irwin wrote:
> > Steve Tremblett wrote:

> > > I've just been adding aliases to 127.0.0.1 for ad banner servers
> and it has been working well for me, but I'm just curious if I might
> reach a point where I break this.  How many aliases can one IP
> address have? This is just a workstation which uses DNS for
> everything else, but will this still work once I have 200 aliases
> for one address?

Sorry for not replying to the original message, but I seem to have
deleted it.

Dunno if there's a hard limit, but you might start to run into scaling
problems with some things if you go too high (i.e. it will still work
but become slower).

> > You may find this site interesting:
> http://smartin-designs.com/. He maintains a HUGE list of ad banner
> servers to block, and provides them in a zipped text file for you to
> download and use in your /etc/hosts file.

Yes, it's probably much better to use /etc/hosts than ifconfig
aliases.  Alternatively, use a banner ad filtering program like adzap
or junkbuster (both in ports), or mozilla which lets you selectively
block images from a site.

Kris

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--