Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:20:58 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp & cable, @home (help me fight the MS monopoly)

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:07:00AM -0400, Kennie H. Jones wrote:

> The docs say to add "ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP" to the /etc/rc.conf file
> where fxpO is replace by the NIC id (x10 in my case). I assume this is
> done by /stand/sysinstall when asking to setup for DHCP, but when mine
> failed, it did not do so.

As others have requested, please configure your mail client to "wrap on
send" or "wrap as typed" or manually wrap yourself. In Eudora (highly
recommended for OS's it supports) I disable the wrap-on-send but
liberally use the Edit->Wrap menu. On the Mac holding the option key
changes the Wrap item to Unwrap. This will go a long way toward helping
you break out of the MS deathgrip.

Also, just because a parameter is set (or might be) with sysinstall
doesn't mean that is the right way or only way to adjust it in the
future. The Unix Way is to give you enough rope to hang youself with. Or
not hang youself. And maybe become a rodeo star.

For starters, logged in as root, type "ifconfig" to see what interfaces
yo have and what they are currently set to. The interface in question is
ex-el-zero, not ex-one-zero as you typed above. Look for "status:
active" as an indication the wire from your cable modem is live.

Now, "dhcpclient xl0" should attempt to collect an IP address and misc
from your ISP. If it doesn't work then you should have some indication
as to where it failed listed. My cable company will only allow the one
MAC address thru the one cable modem they have on file for me. If this
is the case for you, and its not the same NIC they connected you with
Windows, then see the man page for ifconfig(1) and look at the laddr
parameter which lets you set the MAC address to what the cable modem
expects. Is set using "laddr" but reported as "ether" when you type
ifconfig by itself or "ifconfig xl0".

Apple MacOS has a field for DHCP client config called, "DHCP Client ID:"
which the other cable ISP around here requires. If the Windows install
does something like that then you need to dig further into dhclient(1)'s
man page to discover how to send that parameter.

Once you manually get dhclient working then the line in rc.conf is all
you need to make it work on reboot.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net