Date:      25 Apr 2002 17:35:50 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mount /dev/acd0c: Device not configured

Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net> writes:

> The config looks fine, but I think the CD doesn't have an ISO filesystem on
> it. The cd9660 drives looks for some 'magic' on the disk to see if it's in
> a readable format, if not then the device is not configured.

OK, makes sense -- even if the message is rather misleading (e.g., how
about saying "no ISO9660 filesystem found in /dev/acd0c"?).

> Some sort of multisession?  For sure the layout of the CD isn't
> according to 'normal' specifications AFAIK but seems to be
> partitioned. I'm curious; what's on it?

It's just -- ick -- Windows software install disk (3D Home Architect).
I have a CD-less Thinkpad with WinDoze and FreeBSD, and typically
install SW on the WinDoze side by mounting the disk on FreeBSD and
exporting it with SAMBA.  Has worked well enough I don't need a CD on
the laptop.

In fact, I did this just recently with TurboTax and it worked fine.
As a test, I tried to mount the TurboTax CD the same as I always do
and it failed with the same "Device not configured" message.  That
seems new since it worked fine a week or two back.

I rebuilt my OS from nightly CVSupped sources a day before trying
this, so I was wondering if something got changed.

In this case, it's not a big deal -- the SW isn't that important.  But
come tax-time next year I'm not gonna be happy if I can't mount and
install SW on my silly winDoze laptop. :-(

Thanks for the help!