Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:56:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mirroring one drive to another...vinum?

On Saturday, 18 September 1999 at 19:38:35 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Hi...
>
> 	I'm currently browsing through the online docs for vinum, and fear
> that it won't be able to do what I want, based on what I'm reading...

You mean the man pages on your system, and not the web pages, I hope.
To quote the web pagess:

  This document contains preliminary information about Vinum. It is
  not as bad as it used to be, but it's still not complete. If you
  find something confusing or just plain wrong, please let me know and
  I'll do something about it.

> 	Basically, I have two 9gig drives, one that I'd like to mirror to
> the other...but, from what I'm reading in the docs, I'd need *at least* 3
> drives in the machine to be able to do this??

No.  I'd be interested in knowing what made you think that; maybe I
should clarify something.  You can run Vinum with a single drive,
though you'd seldom want to.

> 	Is there any way of doing this?  Just checked CCD, and that
> doesn't do it either...

ccd also runs on 2 disks.  But you'll get more out of Vinum.

Greg