Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:16:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any thought given to...

In article <XFMail.980316104407.shimon@simon-shapiro.org> you wrote:

> Last I checked, CAM still lacked (aside from most SCSI HBA drivers)
> complete support for tapes, CD, CPU, WORM, etc.,

The main things that are missing are:

1) Support for non DEV_BSIZE'ed media in the da driver.  This hasn't
   been addressed because the proper way to address it has yet to be
   determined.  All that's known for sure is that the current method
   used in the worm, sd, and od drivers is a hack.

2) Support for compression, and density setting/detection in the
   tape driver.  This is being worked on as we speak.  There are also
   plans to add partition and fast search support to this driver, but
   these are features the current tape driver does not have.

3) Worm and processor device drivers.  The processor driver should be
   very simple to write, but I don't have a processor target (e.g. a
   scanner) to test against.  The worm driver will most likely be written
   after tape support is complete.

4) HBA support.  I'm currently working on the Buslogic Multi-Master driver
   and hope to complete it within the next two weeks.  There is also a
   volunteer for the 1542 driver who will hopefully start up as soon as
   I get some documentation out his way.

> Since it is not possible
> to have CAM and existing layers co-exist (Is this correct, Justin?), once
> you switch over, you cannot have a complete, functional system.  This, I
> think, will inhibit what you are asking for.

You can have a functional system so long as you stay within the bounds
of the supported hardware list.

It would be difficult to have both layers co-exist as the device names
conflict.

--
Justin