Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 22:13:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, netbsd-help@netbsd.org
Subject:   Tape library or DLT support in FreeBSD/NetBSD

    What options do I have if I'm looking for hardware that will
allow me to backup 20 to 30 gigabytes of data unattended?  Right now
I'm pondering the merits of tape libraries and autoloaders vs.
high-end DLT drives.  On the one hand, tape changers may require
special software support for fully automated operation (I don't think
tar/pax/dump will change tapes for you... maybe amanda?), but they use
readily available media and provide a migration path from single-unit
DAT drives..  On the other hand, DLT is more expensive (both drive
hardware and media) and isn't as mature as DDS-2 technology, but it is
much faster that DAT and you only have to worry about the software
seeing one giant device.

    Of prime importance is OS support for the unit.  :)  Has anyone
successfully used something like the HP C1553A or the Conner 4586NP
autoloaders?  I have a script that uses FreeBSD's scsi(8) command to
change cartridges on the C1553A, but that still requires some sort of
operator intervention.  Something like a DLT4000 unit would be great
if I can access it through /dev/nrst0 like any other SCSI tape drive.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.