Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:03:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        brownicm@netunlimited.net (Chris Browning)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, plamendp@techno-link.com
Subject:   Re: can't su

> Manpage mentioned that. Already checked. It's there. It
> gets deleted and added as I rmuser or adduser. How about
> this: On the console with all other virtual tty's at a
> login prompt, 'who' gives root on ttyv and brownicm on ttyp?
> Any help? Do I need to kill this? How? Irrelevant? Thanks.

Hmm, is that ttyv? or just ttyv. The ttyp? is a concern. That
sounds like you have a shell that's hung. Or it could be a
background process from cron or from a  shell that you exitted.
They shouldn't affect your ability (or lack of ability) to su
to root, however.  Run a 'ps ax' to see if you can find the
processes that are associated with the tty's in question.

As far as not being able to use su. I'd rebuild su from source
or copy it from the live FS CD (make sure you set the permissions
correctly). On my laptop, somehow I got the kerberos su, which
made it look like I wasn't getting in, but would time out after
a minute. I grabbed su from another machine and all was well.

--
I guess it just runs in the family.
--from "Excuses, Excuses" *the* compendium of excuses by Leigh W. Rutledge