Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 08:21:39 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        rank1seeker@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: CD bootcode

On Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:15:14 pm rank1seeker@gmail.com wrote:
> FreeBSD's CD bootcode '/boot/cdboot' is targeting stage 3 boot -> loader
> For example, stage 2 boot '/boot/boot' is attempting the same.
>
> In my case of a '/boot/loader', '/boot' is a symlink!
>
> So if '/boot/boot' works with symlinks, why '/boot/cdboot' doesn't!
> Yes, I did use Rock-Ridge extensions, upon creation of 'cd.iso'

Because I didn't make cdboot's lookup routine handle symlinks.  It
also doesn't look at Rock-Ridge extensions and only uses the base
ISO-9660 directory entries.  That was enough fun to write in assembly.
OTOH, CD sectors are 2k, so you do have that much room to work with
and can probably fit a more advanced directory lookup into cdboot.

I'm happy to review any patches you come up with.

--
John Baldwin