Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:31:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> I don't think that anyone should be forced to contribute at gunpoint,
> nor should "contribute, dammit!" be the response to any suggestion
> that FreeBSD could stand a little improvement, though it's certainly
> not a bad idea to occasionally suggest that contributions of time or
> money are the surest way to promote the swift advancement of FreeBSD.

I think time devoted is better. Right now I could probably donate $50, but
time is money and I'd be more prepared to spend $500 of my own time
getting something to work for FreeBSD and then helping others use it.

In that sense there's already a great deal of monetary contribution, it's
just that no-one actually hands over the notes.

> Abruptly tell someone to go "do it yourself!" in response
> to every constructive criticism and people will also understandably
> distance themselves from such a rude bunch of developers, not try to
> help them in their task.

It's a nice point and it's true, but it doesn't happen that much
thankfully.

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342