Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:58:35 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, xorg@lists.x.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Difficulty running X11 on Toshiba Satellite A10-S1692 running FreeBSD 9.0

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net> wrote:
> There appeared to be no errors in any of the install, Xorg -configure is
> happy.
>
> But when I run Xorg -config xorg.conf.new (with or without -retro) screen
> goes black, computer freezes and I can only restart it by first powering
> off...
>
> I have searched for configuration files for this machine without success.
>
> The output of pciconf says
>
> vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x00021179 chip=0x35828086
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> vgapci1@pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x00021179 chip=0x35828086
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

OK. Maybe a bit more information would help.

 What do you get from 'pciconf -lv'? Can you start Xorg without trying
to create a config file? Most systems today will start out of the box
and the configuration generator has been know to lock up. What about
make.conf? Do you have WITH_NEW_XORG in it or any other options tied
to video or Xorg?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com