Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 13:36:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Real Player as a plug-in

Mark Ovens wrote:

> Are you using the Linux version of Netscape? AFAIK the RealPlayer
> plugins don't work with the native FreeBSD Netscape. RP7 works for me
> with Linux-netscape. Note also that rpnhelper needs to be in your
> PATH. It lives in /usr/local/RealPlayer7 so either add that to $PATH
> or, as I've done, symlink it from /usr/local/bin.

	I have a different problem with RP7. I have installed the latest
linuxelator on my 5.0-Current system. I've installed the linux version
of RP7, and it works just fine for the real.com stuff, and for any URL's
that end in .ra or .ram. However, if I go to a page like,
http://webevents.broadcast.com/yahoo/nationalpressclubjyang0400/ with
those cheesy .asp links, it doesn't work. It starts up RP, but all I get
is the little welcome music and the clip I want to view never starts.
This is true whether I use the linux version of netscape, or the
freebsd. I also have rpnphelper symlinked in /usr/local/bin. I've
checked my mime types, and basically done everything I can think of to
make this work, and still no joy.

	E-mail to real.com got a standard response of "we don't support
freebsd," but at my insistence the worker bees did go try that page with
"real" linux and they could view the clips no problem. I'm at the end of
my rope here, so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.