Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:03:55 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Amiel Ong" <amiel.ong@votek.com.ph>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: permissions

On Saturday 24 July 2004 17:00, Amiel Ong wrote:
> How can I make a directory permission so that
> the user can write but cannot delete a file inside the directory?

I suspect you mean "create" rather than "write".

Some of the responses to your query seem to be unnecessarily complicated.
I think you are looking for the same permissions as normally apply to
the /tmp directory which can be achieved with:
  $ chmod ugo+xrwt my-special-directory

If you want any user to be able to "write" to an "existing" file in the
directory then in general I believe the permissions on that particular
file must permit write for that user:
  $ chmod o+rw particular-file

Ability to write an existing file does relate the ability to delete it.
The latter depends on the permissions of the directory containing the
file, as indeed does the ability to create a file.

Malcolm