Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 22:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

> >Perhaps the compressed commit logs should be excluded from the CTM
> >distribution?  There's not much sense in mirroring them (if someone
> >needs them, he can still fetch them from freefall).
>
> I haven't found much use for the uncompressed commit logs either.
> They are too large to read linearly, and for random access it's
> easier to read the log messages in the repository files using
> `cvs log'.

Except when you want to see what *group* of files comprized a commit,
as a person who often has to track things down these log files are
priceless.

I will agree for joy blow average commiter they are not needed, but
if you have ever had to go pull a whole patch out of the tree as
it was commited the only way to find it is in these log files!

These log files since they are now rolled over and the current versions
of them reflect *only* the change from 2.0.5A to 2.0.5R will be
valuable in preparing release notes.  They will be more valuable between
2.0.5R and 2.1R since the I plan to roll them again then.  [Well, if
I can get the deletion of the Branch: keyword fixed any way :-(]