Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:43:07 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        khatfield@socllc.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suddenly IP aliases don't work from rc file?

On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:50 AM, khatfield@socllc.net wrote:
> I think I missed Chris' response prior to replying to this but I agree as it could have just been an ARP issue but if it fails on reboot then that shows it's something else.

If you also reboot the attached switch(es) also, then I'd agree.

I've seen my fair share of switches, DSL/cable routers, and the like which seem to fixate upon a given IP-to-ethernet-MAC mapping and don't seem to notice when it changes even if the right ARP traffic is being generated by a host after it reboots.

> Assigning 255.255.255.255 would assume each IP is assigned to the primary IP. However, the subnet for the primary is a /23 subnet. Either the company you're renting from has horrible methods of managing the way IP's are issued or it's incorrect in itself.

What makes you say that?  CIDR has been around for a long time, and the machine I'm typing on happens to have a 0xfffffc00 netmask (aka an IPv4 /22).

> I would verify all of the information is indeed what they have set upstream. If it is, I cannot fathom the amount of arp spam your box is getting anyway.

I see about 2 ARPs per second.  That's about 3% of the packets and maybe 0.2% of data bytes received by my machine, which wasn't doing anything on the net beyond me reading email.

Regards,
--
-Chuck