Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:42:51 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS problems?

On a box running -current as of around 12 hours ago, I seem to
be having problems with getting the NFS server running. All the
appropriate options are set for the kernel (which worked just
fine), although the kernel has been recompiled/installed etc.

mountd fails to load with:
Jan  8 20:28:16 server mountd[432]: Can't register mount

errno (if applicable) at this point is EAFNOSUPPORT
(Address family not supported by protocol family)

and the point at which this occurs in src/mountd/mountd.c is
easy to find.

nfsd also reports a problem:
Jan  8 20:19:00 server nfsd:[187]: can't register with udp portmap

however, it loads and forks() the usual number of -n x instances.
Probably uselessly. :-)

My question is - does someone who is more familiar with rpc/nfs
know why this would suddenly occur? I don't recall seeing any
commits relating to nfs things recently, so I don't *think* it
is related to the source tree as such. Moreover, there's a
machine running right along side this one, running the same
binaries which works fine, and the one on which I'm writing
this which is running binaries built a slightly LATER version
of the same CVS tree.

I've rebooted a couple of times to see if it would help, but
the same result each time. Something is hosed, but I have no
idea what.

portmap seems to work fine, and running in debug/verbose modes
shows the connections ok. I just can't work out what's wrong.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/