Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 15:40:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A moment in the life of ftp.cdrom.com

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Whoa, momma!  Check out the size of that PERL mirror job! :-)

    As a side note, I manually snarfed the 950928 snapshot off
freefall last night (ftp.io.org's mirroring seems to have fallen by
the wayside recently) using ncftp 2.1.1's multiple recursive get
feature.  Today, I did the same thing to my home directory on
aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw.  It was able to download only the files that
don't already exist, or had modification dates older than the ones on
the remote site.  So for simply mirroring needs, ncftp2 could be a
suitable alternative, and doesn't use anywhere near the amount of
memory that perl script does.

    BTW, ftp.io.org:/pub/systems/FreeBSD/2.1.0-950928-SNAP/ is now
available, for the times when ftp.cdrom.com is busy.  Now if I could
only figure out how to get this damn BSD/OS box to accept more than 15
FTP logins at once (yes, I've edited /etc/ftpaccess)...  :-/

> With 350 ftp users logged in along with 7 interactive users (one of
> whom appears to be running emacs :-),

    Lose the emacs user and pump up the number of connections to 400.  :)
I couldn't get through to ftp.cdrom.com and finally gave up and
checked freefall instead.

> 31 active HTTP sessions and some 700K/sec streaming constantly out of
> its one ethernet interface (as checked with netstat),

    When's the FDDI wire going in?  :)

> well, all I can say is: "This is a PC??!" :-)

    Amen, brother.  :)

> The irony is that if we could only fit more than 128MB of memory into
> this beast we could do even more..  I wonder if anyone from Intel is
> listening?  Guys!  We need a decent motherboard with room for more
> memory, please! please! :-)

    Someone ought to port FreeBSD to run on the PowerMac 9500... six
(or is it eight?) PCI slots, CPU daughterboard and 768 megs of RAM.
*drool* *drool*  :)  Why not toss another similary-equipped PC on WC's
network and round-robin FTP connections between the two?  I'd love to
see a FreeBSD system be the first on the net to advertise "maximum of
1000 simultaneous logins".  :)
--
Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
System Administrator, Internex Online Inc.