Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:50:33 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd_user@guice.ath.cx
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE -- mount partitions for better performance

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM, <freebsd_user@guice.ath.cx> wrote:

> Annotated below ...
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tuesday 15 March 2011 07:00:30 freebsd_user@guice.ath.cx wrote:
> >> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >>
> >> Guidance with the following:
> >>
> >> We are limited to Support for ATA-100/66/33 IDE and ATAPI compliant
> >> devices.  With that said, we have our atapi/33 optical on a add in
> >> controller (PCI) and are seeking to place four HDD=E2=80=99s on the ma=
in boards
> >> controllers.  Our dilemma is where to place /, /tmp, /usr and /var fro=
> >> performance standpoint.  We understand that /var  does quite a bit of
> >> writing and probably should go on the master hdd, but what about the
> >> /usr,
> >> /tmp and root?  Hell, I=E2=80=99m not sure my thinking is sane as to w=
here I
> >> =E2=80=98think=E2=80=99 /var should be placed/mounted.
> >>

> > did I get it right? You have four hard disks?
>
> Yes, four separate HDD's
>

> > If so, place /, /var /tmp on indiidual drives. Make the fourth disk usr
> > and mount the remaining space of the other three disks inside /usr/home=
.

> Are you suggesting something similar to:
>
> /dev/ad4s1a for /
> /dev/ad4s2a for /tmp
> /dev/ad4s3a for /usr
> /dev/ad4s4a for /var
>
> If so, my initial can current concern is which device (hdd) from the abov=
> list/configuration, should be connected to which cable connector (master
> or slave)? --depending on how much writing to a particular device is
> taking place; for instance during a 'build world' or while building
> anything from src. there is quite a bit of writing going on.  I would
> think that making the disk/slice that is being written to a slave would
> decrease performance when the master to that slave is also being written
> to simultaneously.  In such a case the slave would need to wait until the
> master is done writing before the slave would be able to write;  Is my
> thinking on this sane?
>
> Please enlighten me/us.
>
> Thank you.
> >
> > Locate then stuff on the other three disks which you expect to be used =
in
> > parallel with the /usr disk.
>
> I'm lost on the above suggestion; not understanding this.
> >
> > Of course, you can mount it anywhere else if you want.
> >
> > Erich

When four IDE hard disks are usable , then there should be at least two IDE
connectors on the main board .

IDE cables have two connectors ( connectors near to each other ) . The oute=
connector is for MASTER ,
the INNER connector is for SLAVE .

IDE hard disks have JUMPERS to set the MASTER and SLAVE hard disks , and it
is very likely that on the hard disk , information about jumper settings ar=
printed . When there is no such information printed , it is possible that i=
is printed in its manual , or it may be available from its producer web sit=
.

MASTER hard disk should be connected to outer connector , SLAVE hard disk
should be connected to INNER
connector .

Then , the computer will identify these hard disks with respect to connecto=
on the main board , and MASTER and SLAVE settings of the hard disks .

Then , it will list them as /dev/ad1... ,  /dev/ad2... , /dev/ad3... ,
/dev/ad4... , or other ad(Numbers) depending on mother board IDE ports
settings ( there may be add-on IDE cards ) , or installer may label them
differently .

If the hard disks are different from each other , it is easy to identify
which disk is detected as which device .
( Installer will list information about their sizes ( and , perhaps trade
marks ) . )

Assume that all of the hard disks are the same .
Then , it is very likely that the connector slot 0 will be detected first ,
and the connector slot 1 will be detected as second .

To be exactly sure , the following steps may be applied .
( Absolutely power down the computer for hardware modifications ) :
( Record detected connected device names . )
( On the mother board , slot numbers or letters may be printed explicitly .
)

Disconnect connector in IDE slot 1 and detect disks in connector in IDE slo=
0 .
Then , disconnect connector in IDE slot 0 and connect IDE slot 1 connector
and detect disks in IDE slot 1.
Then , connect  connector in IDE slot 0 and detect all of the disks .

After obtaining exact device names of the hard disks , final installation
may be performed .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk