Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2019 14:56:46 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        ajtiM via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Rebuild between dot versions?

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 2:54 PM Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 2:25 PM @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is it necessary to rebuild ports when moving from dot versions (like 11.2 tp 11.3)?
>
> Sometimes. If a shared library major number changes, or if anything is
> statically linked, or if dependents expect things in certain places,
> then yes. Your safest bet is, yes, rebuild everything that depends on
> that port.

Oh, I think I completely misunderstood your question. You meant when
updating FreeBSD to new minors. No, it's not strictly necessary,
though you absolutely should rebuild anything that installs a KLD.
Compiler improvements usually happen in minor releases, so you
certainly won't get that benefit until you rebuild them all.

For majors, you absolutely must rebuild everything.

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw@adamw.org