Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 19:50:44 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail Problem

Dan Nelson wrote:

> You probably just need to bump maxusers in your kernel config.  What
> does a pstat -T print?  If the current number of files is near the max,
> you can adjust it on the fly by running "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=####".
> If you don't want to rebuild your kernel, you can stick the sysctl in
> rc.local so it runs every time the system is rebooted.
>
>         -Dan Nelson
>         dnelson@emsphone.com

% pstat -T
149/360 files
11M/63M swap space

It's possible as busy as this machine was that it had run out of files.
I had five netscape windows open (32M main memory) and four rxvts. This
machine was rather busy when it happened. Come to think of it, those
netscape windows were looking at several graphics intensive pages.
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>