Date:      07 Jun 2003 10:50:37 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Peeve: why "i386"?

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:

> Whoever wrote the front page recognised that many newcomers will read
> "i386" as a pessimisation (eg, will imagine that it doesn't support

This thread reminds me of the time I tried to get dates like "1991" off
the footers of displayed man pages (e.g., man(1)) for fear of what
newcomers/outsiders might think.  Or when I tried to replace some system
programmer's jargon with something newcomers are more apt to understand.

Which brings to mind a great song from one of the few plays I've seen:
"Tradition!", from "The Fiddler on the Roof".

Now, tradition has it's good uses, but in too many cases it's just a
cheap excuse for unatractive motives like the desire to remind others of
one's glorious past or the desire to consider others stupid because they
don't understand one's jargon.