Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 15:19:46 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        starla johnson <johnstar@sinclair.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intel i740

At 02:31 PM 4/4/99 , starla johnson wrote:
>  However,  I need to find out if the CD ROM that covers the intel i740
>video card.  I have the latest version of Red Hat Linux and it does not
>support this card.  Although there are servers from the sun site etc.
>they do not seem to work either.

Your X Windows would be what supports specific video cards... FreeBSD uses
XFree86 by default.

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#i740

Q.F16- Is a server for the Intel i740 chipset available?
Boards based on Intel i740 chips are not supported in XFree86, as
programming documentation is not available. For users of Linux based
machines, Red Hat has made a binary only server XBF_i740 available at their
ftp server. Check ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF for details.

So there's no i740 support for FreeBSD using XFree86 (yet).

Xi Graphics also makes a (commercial) X server product for FreeBSD.
According to http://www.xig.com/Pages/CardMfgrIntel.html the i740 is supported.

So there's support for the i740 if you pay Xi Graphics.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441