Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 23:59:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com, pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org, tony@fit.qut.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Bug in NFS

>> It was my understanding that no further development is going into devfs and
>> that it's not ready for prime-time without symlinks and permission changes.
>> Please tell me I'm wrong?
> you are wrong..

> the following items need to be done in DEVSF

> 1/ there is a problem in vnode allocation that canresult in crashes.
> 2/ symlink support needs to be added.. it's kinda trivial,
>				but needs to be done
> 3/ I think I want to add support for named pipes, as Iconsider them to be
>		"pseudo devices" and they are often made in /dev.
>		also not rocket science. also takes time... (what's that?)

Er, this means he's right, except "further" should be "current".
Development of devfs is stalled.

I disagree with putting symlinks and especially named pipes in it.  They
would delay the deployment of a usable version and bloat the kernel.  To
support symlinks in /dev, fix union mounts or "union" file systems.
Perhaps union mounts already work well enough for this limited
application.  I tried:

	# mkdir /tmp/z
	# ln -s /dev/zero /tmp/z/zz
	# mount -t null -o union /tmp/z /dev
	# ls -lF /dev/zz
	[...] /dev/zz@ -> /dev/zero	# works
	# od /dev/zz
	^C
	# modstat
	[...]				# even the lkm nullfs worked
	# umount /dev			# I don't trust this :-)
	# modunload -i 0		# or this

Bruce