Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 10:29:37 -0700
From:      "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
To:        "BSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Transproxy not working?

Greetings all,

I've been working with transproxy over the last couple of days and having a
little trouble with it and was hoping you could point me in the right
direction, as I have found very little written information about transproxy.

First I suppose I should give you my config:
FreeBSD 3.4, running natd and IPFW over DSL. Routing for 3 internal machine
running win9x/2k.
This machine is also running as a mail server (qmail), FTP (NCFtp), and
small web server (apache)

A friend of mine runs a proxy server that blocks porn. If I put it in each
browser it works fine, but alas, too easy to get around. I had been looking
for a solution when a BSD friend of mine suggested transproxy. I installed
the latest build from the transproxy web site. I am running tproxy as a
standalone server. I have verified it is running (top) and verified it is
using port 81 (by trying to run it again with similar settings). Here is the
command that is running from rc.conf

tproxy -s 81 -r nobody proxy.iolwest.com 80

The port for iolwest's proxy is 80 (verified through running the proxy
settings on Netscape).

I've also added the following IPFW rules

00900 allow tcp from 192.168.1.0/24 to any 80
00910 fwd proxy.iolwest.com,81 tcp from any to any 80

Now I can still browse and do all other internet related tasks, but alas, I
still have access to porn, sites I know are blocked because they were
blocked when I ran the proxy in Netscape. I did a tcpdump, and it appears
that the packets are not being forwarded to tproxy.

Have you seen this before? Did I screw up the configuration some how? Do I
understand the use of transproxy, that it should allow me to do this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank Wethington
Information Logistics