Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:07:04 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interaction between ipfw, IPSEC and natd

    David> I think so - but I don't see why a daemon whould be
    David> necessary. It seems to me that the sort of mechanism used
    David> by the "gif" interfaces would be appropriate. It *might*
    David> even be possible to extend the "gif" interface to do the
    David> job. The difference being that instead of encapsulating in
    David> an IP "tunnel" it would encapsulate in an IPSEC
    David> "tunnel".

You've pretty much described the OpenBSD enc(4) interface:

ENC(4)                    OpenBSD Programmer's Manual                   ENC(4)

NAME
     enc - Encapsulating Interface

SYNOPSIS
     pseudo-device enc 4

DESCRIPTION
     The enc interface is a software loopback mechanism that allows hosts or
     firewalls to filter ipsec(4) traffic using ipf(5). The vpn(8) manpage
     shows an example of such a setup.

     The other use of the enc interface is to allow an administrator to see
     outgoing packets before they have been processed by ipsec(4), or incoming
     packets after they have been similarly processed, via tcpdump(8).

     The ``enc0'' interface inherits all IPsec traffic.  Thus all IPsec traf-
     fic can be filtered based on ``enc0'', and all IPsec traffic could be
     seen by invoking tcpdump(8) on the ``enc0'' interface.

--lyndon